Development Director (DD)
Bellwether Harbor Animal Shelter
Position Reports To:
Position Purpose Summary:
The Development Director reports directly to the President. This individual will be responsible for directing and overseeing development, public relations and marketing of the organization and strengthening the relationship between donors and Bellwether Harbor. The Development Director will work closely with the President to create and execute a strategic development plan that encompasses all aspects of fundraising including major gifts, direct mail solicitation, planned giving, special events, and corporate and foundation giving.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Understand the human animal bond, considering it with every action.
- Create a fund development plan with detailed fundraising goals.
- Identify and build relationships with stakeholders (corporate, community and individual) to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization.
- Identify foundation and corporate funding opportunities, develop grant proposals and meet funding and reporting requirements.
- Provide leadership, direction and oversight for established programs to further develop their potential, including planned giving, major gifts, annual fund campaigns, donor recognition, cultivation events and online donations.
- Develop and manage timelines for fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical processes are completed by plan deadlines.
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that fundraising goals are achieved.
- Maintain donor database and ensure integrity of data, allowing for preparation of fundraising and donor reports as needed.
- Support annual budget process.
- Promote mission and programs of Bellwether Harbor through networking at community functions and events.
- Ensure a safe work environment; follow all safety guidelines and model safe work practices.
Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Abilities:
- Able to build upon current fundraising efforts, as well as, create new initiatives that increase support from individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of Microsoft Office suite and fundraising software.
- Experience in fundraising and/or development management role.
- Easily relates to people and professional demeanor.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; sound critical-thinking skills and ability to execute strategic objectives.
- Comfortable with public speaking and one-on-one interaction.
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined and result-oriented.
Working Conditions and Position Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to work with and around animals.
- Regularly sits at a computer station and operates electronic equipment.
- Position involves work that is both indoors and outdoors and involves varying temperatures and weather conditions.
- Sitting, standing, walking, bending, twisting, kneeling and lifting is required.
- Occasional weekend and evening work.
- Consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.