Your veterinarian should be one of your most valued resources to aid you in caring for your pet. A strong relationship with them is important. If you are new to your area or have never owned a pet before, it is vital to find a veterinarian that you feel comfortable with, making you more likely to ask important questions regarding your pet’s care. We suggest calling several veterinarian offices and comparing them.
Some suggested questions to ask…
- How many doctors are currently at your practice?
- Can I request to see a specific one or would I be scheduled with the first available?
- What are your open hours?
- Are visits by appointment only or do you accept walk-ins?
- What are your emergency policies?
- Do your vets see their own emergencies or will I be directed to an emergency clinic?
- What services does your practice offer?
- Do your doctors perform surgeries or would I be referred to another veterinarian?
- Do you have x-ray equipment or the ability to do blood work on-site?
- Do you have an on-site pharmacy or will I have to go elsewhere for prescriptions?
- Will your doctors be willing to refer me to a specialist if needed?
- What do you charge for an office visit?
- Vaccines(suggested dog vaccines include rabies, distemper/parvovirus and kennel cough; for cats- rabies, upper respiratory/distemper and feline leukemia)?
- Heartworm tests and preventative?
- What is your payment policy?
Costs can vary widely from veterinary clinic to veterinary clinic. While this is very important, we don’t recommend basing your decision on this factor alone. We suggest taking all of the answers to these questions into account when choosing your new veterinarian.
Some questions to ask yourself when choosing a vet….
- Do I feel satisfied with the answers provided above?
- Am I able to travel the distance to this office, not only for routine visits, but if an emergency arises
- Do I feel comfortable with the doctors and staff at this office?
We hope these questions help when choosing a new veterinarian. Bellwether Harbor does not do same day adoptions.